Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Secret Cookie Recipe... Shhhhhh!

Once upon a time not so very long ago I received about 500 SPAM e-mails claiming to contain a cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus that had cost something of a small fortune.  Although I love a good cookie recipe there was no way I was going to try this recipe.  I was convinced that the recipe was someones cruel joke to make the masses use up A LOT of pantry staples on a recipe that would most likely flop.  Lots and LOTS of pantry staples but reluctantly I had to try it.  Not sure why... was it the fact that 9,000 of my dear friends all thought it important to send me the same 'forward', whether it was the fact that my 'spam' folder that accumulated these e-mails called out to me for rest, or whether it was that  it called for both white and brown sugar and more butter than Paula Dean consumes in a month, either way, I had to try it.  Well, it was really, really GOOD!  Huz Ha! 

 There were adjustments I had to make, after all, I am a better cook than those who work for Neiman-Marcus.  Ah hem, (picture me polishing my fingernails on my shoulder - and completely lying to make myself better here).  Well, the adjustments definitely put this cookie over the top.  Yummers!  I will share with you my Spammers Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies!  Get it?  Spammers??  Okay, okay, whatever.


You will see that this cookie recipe is quite large and although it may seem intimidating, make the whole thing, don't halves it, tho you can.  You will be sad if you don't (peer pressure... peer pressure - reminding some of you of high school?)  These bad boys freeze WONDERFULLY and thaw soft and chewy!!!  So go ahead, and do it... everyone else is!

Spammers Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups Butter
2 cups Brown Sugar
2 cups Sugar
4 cups blended Oatmeal (the finer you get this, the better)
4 cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt 
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
12 oz chocolate chips blended (or you could use 6 tbs Cocoa Powder)
another 12 oz Chocolate Chips

Measure and blend oatmeal into a fine powder.  
Cream butter with both sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla.
In separate bowl mix blended oatmeal, flour, soda,  baking powder, blended chocolate chips, and salt.
The Neiman-Marcus version calls for 3 cups nuts.  No thanks.  I love nuts but not in this recipe.  
Add drys into the wets and mix well.  Once combined stir in the remaining chocolate chips. Roll into balls or do it my way and use you melon baller to make them.
Bake for 10 minutes ONLY at 375 degrees.  This makes approx 150 cookies.




Tips:
Don't overcook these.  Only cook till they begin to look a little faint cracks on top.  Let them cool for a few minutes on cookie sheet then transfer over to parchment paper or cooling racks.

Also, if you make the whole recipe you will need to cover your bowl of cookie dough with a wet (not dripping) paper towel to keep it from drying out.  

A little more on my melon baller.  My Mother-in-law gave me this cool melon baller.  I would grieve and hold a funeral if something were to ever befall this tool.  It came with the sharpest of knives to cut watermelon or bread or whatever.  I have been using this knife for years on all manner of things and it is still crazy sharp.  Here is a link where to buy this one.  Well worth the money!


Okay, disclaimer time.  Although this cookie is crazy yummy, it also laden with lots of sugar so it is bound to have a lot of calories!  You are gonna have to have some self control here.  So right away, leave out 3 cookies for yourself, 2 cookies each for each of your children, and approx 8 cookies for the hubbs (my man can eat) and 2 by 2 put the cookies into little sandwich or snack size baggies.  Freeze!!!  


These are fun to give the kiddos frozen - a nice treat when it's hot out and is super chewy yumminess when you thaw them out.  While frozen you can make ice cream sandwiches by adding vanilla ice cream to the middle and refreezing.  I will do a tutorial on these soon.  Most amazing and beautiful treats! 

 My family unfortunately went through 150 cookies in about 3 days because I didn't freeze ours.  Lesson learned.  Fat family!  My husband told me he ate about 60... he wasn't kidding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment